Each month, one of my favorite magazines, Elle Decor, has a feature called Shortlist, in which celebrities share the top ten things they can’t live without. It’s an enlightening glimpse into their priorities, so I thought I’d give you a glimpse into my own shortlist.
- My bed. Tufted velvet headboard, pillow-top mattress, down-filled comforter covered by an Anthro duvet. I could literally spend 24 hours a day there.
- Aveda. In a given day, I use at least seven Aveda products. My hair and skin have never been happier.
- Friends. Obviously, without them, life is basically meaningless.
- My David Yurman rings. I’ve had this one since I was a senior in high school; it was a Christmas gift from my mom. The other one is a half-size version of this ring that I bought myself when I got into grad school. I never take them off.
- A checkbook wallet. Currently, I’m carrying a coral patent leather version that boyfriend bought me for graduation. I don’t know how people can use any smaller wallets.
- Jergen’s. Ultra-moisturizing lotion has literally saved my life.
- Books. Currently reading What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami. I can never last more than a day between books.
- Vitamin D. Growing up in Colorado (300 days of sun a year!) and living for four years in FL (no winter!) made moving to Chicago and experiencing winter here even more brutal. Without my daily dose of Vitamin D, I might literally wilt away into a pile of pale sadness.
- Travel. I’ve always had the wanderlust, and if I don’t have a trip on the horizon, I get antsy and irritable. I love getting away to new places and revisiting familiar locales. As much as I can, I rack up points on my Southwest card so I can get out of Dodge as often as possible.
- Cubby. Once a lion cub, now gray, earless and whiskerless and looking more like a little seal, Cubby has been by my side nearly every night for more than 20 years.
I feel like this should go without saying, but I’ll say it anyway: my life would be noticeably less wonderful without both jeans and pearls.
Hope you enjoyed this departure from the standard meandering of my thoughts!